Monday, May 3, 2010

Diary of a Dominatrix

So even though our week of reading women’s comics is over I wanted to give another female written comic a try. So I decided to read Diary of a Dominatrix. Wow. I’m not too sure if this type of comic is what I’m really into, but it was definitely interesting to check out. First of all, I thought the way the figures and objects were drawn was exquisite. What I mean to say is that the style of art was very intricate and showed a huge sense of craftsmen-ship. I loved how the artist drew the main character with such thick, bold lines. It seemed to match the character’s personality very well. As for the story, I’m not too sure if it was something I could really get into. I think maybe if the comic was told in more of a traditional story format I could like it better. Instead, the story seemed like little pieces that never really fit together. I guess this makes since because it’s the diary of the dominatrix. So it’s probably supposed to feel like small, little episodes. As for the content of this comic all I can say is that it was quite interesting, for lack of a better word. Showing some of the ways she tortured men was quite alarming. The artist drew everything with great detail and without censoring any of her wild imagination. I kept wondering if some of the stuff the dominatrix did is really done in that world. I mean, obviously men request the schoolgirl stuff, but the whole binding thingy? Doesn’t seem enjoyable, but “hey” that’s just my opinion. I really loved how the dominatrix was portrayed as a real women. The page with the before and after she’s done up as a dominatrix was great. Showing her as just a normal, slightly scary looking girl, to a sexpot dominatrix was amazing. I also really enjoyed where her beauty tools surrounded the frame with her little descriptions. The same was done with her torturing devices. Lastly, I enjoyed how her body shape was drawn. She wasn’t some super tall, unrealistically skinny girl, but a curvy, slightly short chick that has problems getting into her leather suit. That was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment