Monday, May 3, 2010

Peanuts: Re-write

So I’ve decided to re-do my post on the Peanuts comics. I feel like there’s just so much more to say about them. To be honest though, I’m more familiar with the Peanuts movies than the comic strips. Every Christmas, when I was a kid, the family would snuggle up on the couch and watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special. The one where Charlie Brown had to get a Christmas tree and he comes back with this dinky little thing. All the neighborhood kids make fun of him but they decorate the tree anyways and everything turns out just fine. Oh, those were the days. Anyways, I digress. In my last post about Peanuts I talked a lot about the similarities it has to Calvin and Hobbes. I really enjoy comics like Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes because the strips are so short and concise. They’re like a one line joke. Quick and simple, but effectively hilarious. I also really enjoy anything that has to do with witty children. The characters are more like child representations of adults. It kind of has to do with what David Steiling was saying in class the other day about how real representations of children are never shown. But for this comic, I think it’s effective. Sometimes there are jokes in the strips that only older generations would understand, but at the same time, the strips are fun and timeless for young children. I truly hope that Peanuts will be one of those comics that will run for years to come. With the digital age quickly rising above us, it seems that a lot of our printed treasures are being ignored. It’s so much easier to go online these days for this sort of content. There is just something magical about seeing a Peanuts strip in the newspaper. It reminds me of my childhood. Peanuts, even the newer ones, just have such a vintage and classic feel to them. The characters and their crazy antics need to be preserved for years to come. I feel like I see Charlie Brown and Snoopy everywhere nowadays on shirts, hoodies, lunchboxes, you name it. But not enough kids actually have read one of their strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment